Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server not renewing / blocking physical address

Status
Not open for further replies.

DartBoy

Technical User
Dec 9, 2002
GB
I have a problem with a PC on a network. The PC is running XP and the server has Windows 200 Server on it. The problem appears to be a new network card (the old one failed) has been installed, but cannot access the network, although it can on other networks. We have three companies involved who cover the router, the PC itself, and the last one the network. They are all blaming themselves, so I have tried this - disconnecting a working pc from the network and using the MAC address (physical address) of the working network card in replacement of the non working one, and surprise it works. I have changed the setting back to how they were. It appears that the Mac address is not being renewed or is being blocked by either router, security settings on Win200 Server, or switches. Is this possible and if so how do I change to solve the problem.

It doesn't help when the three experts concerned all blame each other, will not talk directly to each other. All i am doing is going round in circles. This is the first time I have heard of a new network card being blocked on a network. Any ideas ???? Any info would be greatly appreciated.. Cheers

Simon Everitt, Lockwell Lectrics Ltd
I.T. Manager

Obviously, something is bound by the old MAC address (hardcoded) and we simply need to find where.

If your DHCP and not getting an IP, then it might have reservations done by MAC addresses. You would need to go take a look at your reservations in your DHCP and see if a reservation was done with the old MAC. If so, recreate one with the new MAC.

Ask your Network person if the switch ports are locked by MAC address. If he says yes, give him the old MAC and new one and tell him to switch it on that port. If he says no, then ask him if he's programmed the router to allow only certain MACs to pass.

In space, nobody can hear you click

Thanks for your reply ReddLefty. I'll try that...

Simon Everitt, Lockwell Lectrics Ltd
I.T. Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back