Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server, mixed mode problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
We're installing a new Dell Poweredge server that came preloaded with W2K Server, we got it from our Canadian office, and they didn't document any changes that they made to the server while they had it. I began configuring it as a DC and loaded Active Directory in mixed mode (Because we have mostly W95/98 workstations) and I have not been able to get our W9x workstations to see the DC.

When I installed Active Directory, there were a whole slew of DNS errors that I believe I've been able to clear up by removing all of their pre-existing forward lookup zones and loading in new ones that run integrated with Active Directory. I've also had to install WINS (because we have to connect to a weird MCP emulator running on another server). DHCP server is installed as well, but as far as I can tell none of our resources are using it, and I'm not getting any warnings or errors from it in the event viewer or when I run netdiag.

But back to my initial problem, I can't get any of my W9x clients to see it, although I can verify connectivity with a ping x.x.x.x and I can telnet to our MCP emulator, but not the PDC emulator.

I also can't telnet out from the server console to our MCP emulator even though there isn't any authentication required by the MCP emulator, but I can verify connectivity with a ping x.x.x.x. I also can't see any of my W9x clients in the WINS lookup.

As far as I can tell everything else is configured okay, TCP/IP protol, Client for MS-Networks, DNS server, WINS Server, and the Active Directory managers for Domains ...etc all register the domain server okay.

I haven't had any other errors in the event viewer, and I've only had one error in the netdiag that I couldn't recognize, something to do with SPN.

By the way, I became a network admin. by accident, so if there's something obvious that I'm missing, please violently remind me.

Thanks!
Daniel

dcdetmer,

Wow. Where to start...

First, Mixed/Native Mode really doesn't have anything to do w/ the 9x machines. It's for backward compatibility w/ older NT 4.0 BDC's. Remember, NT 4.0 (& earlier) was a "Master - Slave" model where the PDC held the master copy of user/group accounts (the sam). The BDC's looked to the PDC for all of their information. In Mixed Mode, the first Win2K DC emulates a PDC for those old NT 4.0 BDC's. Once you have upgraded all of your DC's to Win2K, you can switch to Native mode. Why switch to Native mode? Well, the replications changes to where all DC's are equal. And, all the cool features to AD become available, like Groups within Groups within Groups, etc.

Now on to your specific question: Is this the first DC on your network? If not, then we have a problem. As I explained in the paragraph above, the FIRST Win2K server in the domain acts like a PDC to the old BDC's. That Win2K server can't act like a BDC. M$ didn't write the software to do that.

If it IS the first server, then we need to talk some more. Let us know.

ebr

You mention that DHCP is installed. Have you configured a scope though. If not, or if your w9x clients do not have static IP's then you will not be able to log them on. Also, check that you are using the correct subnet mask. This could also be casuing the problem.

Don't know if this is the solution but it s certainly worth checking

Are you running WINS? Make sure select Enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP. If not your Win9x clients won't be able to "see" your server.

to elaborate on ebr's suggestion, do u have any other server running windows NT and configured as a domain controller prior to the promotion of the win2K server?

Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrdebug@email.com

Sounds like your login problem with the 9x machines does have to do with your scope option settings in DHCP. Assuming you have set up a good scope, have you set up options 044 and 046 in "Scope Options". They will tell your PC's where to talk to your WINS Server in order to see the rest of the network. We use WINS to allow the 2K clients to see the 9x's and the 9x's to see the 2K's. (There is probably a better way, but I learned by playing with it, until I got it to work.) (Oh btw...the 044 option needs to have the internal ip of the box that his hosting your DHCP, and I am not sure what the Node Type does. . .only that we seem to need it. Our setting is 0x8.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back