Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server logon scripts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhand

MIS
Apr 27, 2001
US
Has anyone had experience with creating logon scripts in Windows 2000 server that will do things like map drives and resources based on what groups the person is a member of? I have a mixed environment, so I can't use the group policies to do it.

There doesn't seem to be any information available about what commands or variables are available in a logon script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Hand

I use Script Logic - which is basically a version of the kixstart script utility with a very nice interface on it. Will address log in needs for a mixed Windows network very well. They have a 45 day trial version for you to try. Go to

Does Scriptlogioc have to be loaded on each client?

I don't see the justification of spending $1300.00 to get some basic functionality that I could do under novell 3.11.

I just want it to map a drive or use a printer based on the groups a user belongs to. Does Microsoft not have any way to do this?

eriksoft - ScriptLogic will load itself on the clients upon login if set up to do so.

jasonhand - I agree - I came from the Novell side also and Windows is just a dearth of network utils. There is always the command line NET USE commands that can be strung together in a batch file - MS's web site has quite a few articles on this. The kixstart script utility is also freely available.

If you're working as an admin for a company or hiring out as a consultant - remember to put a value on your time spent tinkering with things. In our case, a $1400 license fee was well worth it - particularly considering the extra things ScriptLogic can do. BTW - you'll still need an extra utility to create "private" home directories like Novell - or else spend several days setting up shares and security for each individual user. But hey, its Windows, it looks good, and we all got a good deal on the server software from Microsoft - they just don't tell you about all the little hassles.

KixTart is free. Why pay money for scriptlogic.

Kixtart is an easy basic programming language that will allow you to do almost anything with regards to logon scripts.

Check it out: KIXTART.org

Yes, Kixtart is compatible with both NT 4.0 and Windows 2000. (It is not necessary to manually download the product to your workstations. However, a service needs to added to the DC's)

I think I'll try kixstart first. It seems easy enough and doesn't require a large investment.

Thanks for all of the help guys.

-Jason

Windows scripting host is the way to go now. I moved from kixtart to wsh a long time ago. I know vbscript/vb and it didnt make sense to try to learn another product just for scripting. I use WSH to map drives, create shortcuts and do other desktop configuration stuff. There's just not much you cant do with it.. and its free...

there's certianly no need to purchase a third party product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back