Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server license issue...help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkondilys

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
Question, this might be simple but just wondering...

If your windows 2000 server is out of licenses, would that disable any clients from being able to login to the network, or cause a delay in log ins?
Scenario I have:
My AD server is displaying that it is out of licenses in the event viewer. recently I've had clients that experience an issue in logging in to network. login will hang for long time at loading network settings screen on workstation.
Work around that I've used:
-Unplug network cable from pc.
-log on locally, or with cached info.
-then plug in network cable.
-ipconfig /release then renew.
-can login properly.

Anyone seen this before?

Yes, I've had a similar problem with SBS and CALS, My problem was I had 5 cals and 8 people logging on, I found that it was first come first served up to the first 5 loggons.

ALlen

I have encountered many strange things happening when the M$ licensing service "discovers" that you are out of licenses.

HERE IS THE SOLUTION <<WINNT 4 AND W2K only as I have no time yet to &quot;help&quot; M$ debug their W2003>>

*** Simply DISABLE the licensing service of all servers and workstations ***

But of course you might want to invest in a more robust licensing audit system e.g. M$ $ystem Management $erver, other 3rd party products, manual counting...

mmaxx
MCSE Win2000
MCSE NT4
MCP E2K Admin

You can disable it, but you could also just add a few hundred &quot;per seat&quot; licenses in your license server (your DC). This way you won't encounter any licensing problems ever again... just makes you a tad illegal when you click on the checkmark to agree that you actually &quot;bought&quot; the licenses your about to install....

I used to turn off the licensing when I had my Windows NT 4.0 Server because when you install the MSDN version of Windows NT 4.0 Server, the licensing was disabled. This is why 80% of the people had PDCs with no licensing enabled and all your workstations and BDCs would barf a warning when looking for the licensing server.

Question:

What licensing mode is your server running in, Per Seat or Per Server?

And how many licences do you have in use?

I run &quot;Per Seat&quot;. The amount of licenses taken is the exact amount of logged in accounts in the server... but I have 3 times the available licenses.

I believe this is an issue that was solved with Service Pack 3

Per seat requires each client that logs into the server to have a license, whether it is connected for 1 minute or all day. You can't just get enough per seat licensed to cover the number of connections, you have to license every client. The deal with seat licensing is you can log onto as many of your servers as you like with that client. If you have 100 servers and 50 client computers in your building (way cool! 2 servers per client) then 50 seat licenses would cover logging into all your servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back