Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 server installation/ two domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2003
US
Hello,

We have a network with an existing domain name (i.e. example.com). We are running windows 2000 with Active Directory. In this windows 2000 environment we have a mail server, a SQL server, an ISA server, and a few other servers. We have a seperate lab that's running windows NT 4.0, with a seperate domain name (confused.com). This server is basically a file server. The lab users authenticate on the 4.0 server, in addition, is able to access certain files and databases. We just purchased a new server and plan to install windows 2000 on it and migrate all of the 4.0 users information onto that server. We want to join it (confused.com) to our main domain (example.com), however, we want to keep the current users (previous nt 4.0 users) authenticating through the confused.com domain, however joined to the example.com domain. Our main goal is to basically keep the two domains as seperate as possible, however, joined to the same domains.

We also want to install AD on the new 2000 server as well.

Is something like this possible? What are your suggestions? Is this really confusing? It is very confusing for me.

Thanks for any assistance...

If you want to keep the domains separate, why not just create trusts between the two domains?

Good point. So I should just keep the confused.com and example.com separate, and just establish a trust between the two servers. We have a firewall on the example.com domain, is this going to be a problem? We basically want the confused.com to be able to use the filtering from the firewall that's on the main domain. We are currently using a wingate server for filtering for the nt 4.0, we want to do away with that and send all request through our main firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back