Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server - can't login

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneferry

Technical User
May 10, 2007
the local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Hi all, advice needed. I have a Windows 2000 Server (no active directory) which in one way or another has ended up preventing logons locally.

Remote connections via network can still be applied, and the the secedit.sdb file can be retrieved and replaced.

The problem is the policy update interval. I'm not sure when policy updates occur, 12 hours, 24 hours. I'm not sure. Can someone confirm this?

Is there a way of forcing an update?

At present attempts to use psexec.exe and secedit.exe have failed error code 0.

Thanks in advance.

Edit/Delete Message

Can you log in locally as admin in safe mode? then edit the local security policy to allow log on locally.

Safe mode login does not work either. Same error message.

Does anyone know how to force the local policy to restart from remote with this issue? Or how long it takes for the local policy to update? Or how to change the time interval from remote.

sounds corrupted. run a repair

hi,

- Ensure the machine is not a DC (I belive not, but ensure!)

- with "remote connections" you mean RDP or just sharing ?

- Does this happens for any user ?
Have you created a new one ? (admin and not) ?

ciao
vittorio

Can you connect to the Windows 2000 server's local policy through one of the workstation's local policy msc(secpol.msc)? by switching (local) to "another computer"

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Well on this issue, I was able to remove the offending policy from the policy database, although I wasn't able to have the server refresh its local security database and had to wait 24 hours. It came back after 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back