Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server cannot browse from network neighborhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

achyutdhakal

IS-IT--Management
Apr 5, 2006
US
Hi,

I have a problem: I have two windows 2000 server with windows XP pro clients under domain "A". I can see the win xp computers listed under the domain but I cannot browse from "my network places" of the windows 2000 server to the windows XP pro client to access their shared folders and printers. But, I can browse from one server to other server and also from windows XP clients to the Windows 2000 Server as well as from windows XP clients to other Windows XP clients. I get following error message when trying to double click the windows XP client from the server :
" You do not have the appropriate access rights for this server. For further information, contact your network administrator"

When I try to right click and see the properties, it gives me following error message:
"The account is not authorized to log in from the station"

Windows 2000 Server has service pack 4 in it.

Hoping for your logical answers.

Thanks,
Achyut

I checked it.. Everything working fine. I cannot just browser from the windows 2000 Server to any other pcs in the network that have windows XP pro. But, I can browse any computers from any PC that have windows XP pro.... !!!

Make sure browsing is turned off on the xp machines. I know it sounds odd, but I've seen a lot of problems with W2K pro and XP is real close to W2K. When browsing is turned on. The clients think they are the master browsers, so they keep forcing elections, which causes problems.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell."
Aldous Huxley (1894-1963), English critic & novelist

Yes, we turn off the firewalls in XP machines.
I think that I tried master browser options too. Could you please advise me the way you do it in XP machines ?

Thanks,
Achyut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back