Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 server backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitesh22

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
US
Hi ,

When I scheduled a Windows 2000 unattended backup by using a standalone tape drive, the first backup job completed sucessfully. However when the next scheduled backup does not back up the desired file or folders. I did not change the tape. The tape is same.

The error message in backup report log file that I got was

"The operation was not performed because no unused media was available."

What am I doing wrong. Please help me!!!

Thanks,

Hitesh

Well, you probably didnt set the backup program to append to media or to over write or both. Check your settings, if you are using the windows 2000 standard backup, I advise you to switch to a more professional backup system. I.e. Vertitas.

:)

Give more info from your log file or settings from the scheduelled job.

Regards

Garyt

If you have one domain server, then I would just used the veritas. But if you have multiple domains, you would have to get a license for each domain server which can be costly.

Your problem that you have is an easy fix. I have used the Windows 2000 standard backup and it works.

Send me an email at tnguyen@nthea.com and I will send you documentation how I setup the backup. Since it's 5:05 central time, I can send you my documentation in the morning if you are interested in get the backup resolve.

Trimelater

trimelater

Have you used the normal win2k backup for exchange? If so, can i get your notes on that ?

I had the same problem; solution is adding /um to your command line in the scheduled tasks overview!
This works for me. ( I use 3 x win2k server and ntbackup.exe )
Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back