Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Server and Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterpjz9

Technical User
Nov 12, 2001
US
I am new to Windows 2000 and would like some help setting 2000 server up with windows 98 workstations. I am upgrading from a peer to peer network to a client/server network. Any help would would be great!

Also, I have these questions:
1) Does the IP address on the W98 PC's have be in order like 10.10.1.2, 10.10.1.3, 10.10.1.4, and so on (if the server is 10.10.1.1)?

2) On the W98 PC's do I have to change the workgroup to the domain name (domain or domain.local)?

3) When I log on to the network on the W98 PC's do I type in: DOMAIN\username in the username box or just the username?

4) in the domain space in the logon box in the w98 pc, do I type domain or domain.local or 10.10.1.1?

5) If I do not logon to the domain in w98, should I be able to browse in to the w2000 pc using network neighborhood?

6) Do I need to use DNS or WINS on the W98 pc? If so how do I set that up?

Thanks for all help!

1. yes.
2. yes.
3. username.
4. domain
5. no.
6. depends what you want to do. if you need dns and wins, put dhcp in.

The first thing is why are you switching from peer to peer to server/client. Security? Centralized mail? Routed Internet access? Once you figure out what you would like to do with the network then we can help you decide how much setup you need to do. I recommend setting up dhcp. It just makes management easier. But if you have internet access on certain local machines then you don't want to do this. So first things first, and decide what you want your network to be able to do.

Drees

I have also recently moved to Windows 2000 Server (Actually from novell to win2k).

I agree with drees. Setup DHCP. It's simple to configure and it makes things a whole lot easier. Unless you need internet connections on each machine.

Tip. Use kixtart for login scripts if you decide you use them. I had a hard time getting any other scripts to work well.

As for WINs I read somewhere that it's not really necessary if you don't have more than one domain. Is this true? I'm not sure. Just a thought.

well...basically this change is for security but mostly because a new program I am running on the network requires a win 2k server. I am installing this in a dental office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back