Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 says "no HD installed" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieselBREATH

Technical User
Mar 14, 2001
US
I am using an ASUS A7V with a Maxtor 30 gig ATA 100. The A7V has 4 IDE controllers, two ATA 100 and two ATA 66.

The system was running Windows ME when I tried to install windows 2000. An error ocured and I then decided to do a clean instal. That's when things got bad! I formated the HD and and tried to install windows 2000 from the CD ROM.

During the POST, There is no HD detected, however later on in the POST, You see a message from the PROMISE controller attempting to auto detect the drive. After some time, it "usually" finds the drive. However, that does no matter for Windows 2000 still cannot see the drive and won't install.

Thanks to all for your help!

I haven't used the Promise controller, but it sounds like it's behaving in the same way that SCSI controllers do.

You may need to install the driver for the controller before W2k will see the disk. The POST probably doesn't "see" it, because it's handled by the card's BIOS.

Let me know if this helps!

I actually have the promise ultra 100, and a maxtor 30gb. I installed in 2k fresh, with no problems. If you say sometimes the controller does not find the drive, maybe there is a connection problem? Try it using the onboard ide controller, to see what effects it has. If it reads and, and win 2k installs, its a connection problem with the promise controller, or the controller may be faulty. If you cant install from onboard ide, the you have a bad hard drive! win 95, 98, 98se, win2k, do not need drivers for any of the ide promise cards when they are the promary booting device, but once in windows, make sure to put the drivers in for optimal performance. If the card is used a a secondary, then win 2k will not see it till drivers are put. But thats not your case, since your using it as primary.

I just put a new BIOS chip in and rebooted. Still, not detecting the drive. I can format the drive with no problem. I could just spit!!!!

OK, this all happened last month, but I'll tell you how I fixed that exact problem, dieselBREATH...

I had the same problem as you...

I ran an IDE cable from Primary IDE to the Maxtor HDD, then to the bootable CD-Rom Drive.

I installed windows, and while i was completing the setup features, i realised that the promise driver was not properly loaded...

I found the NEW Promise Driver at ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/Ultra100/FamilyDrv_BIOS/U100B201b27.ZIP

then, once the promise driver is properly installed, restart....

during restart, check your BIOS boot settings
DEFAULT:
Boot 1 (Floppy)
Boot 2 (Bootable IDE Drive)
Boot 3 (Media Drives (CD/CD-R)
Boot 4 (ATA/SCSI Device)

You will have to change #2 to Disabled
then it will check the other drives for boot media. but lastly go to the ATA to boot

There are 2 ways to work around this; plug the HDD in to the primary IDE controller for the install, then in win2k, install the drivers for the promise controller (found on the asus cd or at then shut the computer off and switch the hdd back to the ata100 controller. the other way is to have the drivers for the ata100 controller on a floppy disk and at the start of the win2k setup, it says press f6 if you need to install 3rd party scsi or raid drivers. then when prompted, point it at the disk. i've gotten both to work, but the method using drivers pretty much requires another working computer so you can copy the files... i had trouble figuring out which were the correct drivers.

When installing Windows 2000 on any harddrive not directly connected to the IDE controller on the motherboard you must load the new controller drivers during the Windows install. To do this you must press F6 as soon as you see the first screen of the windows install. It is a DOS screen that says "Setup is installing the installation files" (or something along those lines) those are the only words on the screen. Press F6 a few times, then during the install it will ask if you have other drivers you need to specify. Press S to specify and then it will ask for the Drivers Disk. You need to have the drivers on a Floppy. Then it will see your hard drive and ask you to partition and format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back