Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Running Real Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz98

MIS
Jun 20, 2001
US
I'm having a problem with Windows 2000 Pro. At random, it will run real slow. After booting is completed, if I try to start any program, it takes 30 seconds to a minute before it does anything. I have checked to see if the processor is being used or if some other process is using up its resources, but everything appears to be idle.
If anyone can shed some light on this situation, it will be greatly appreciated.

You might have already done this, but have you checked for viruses, especially SirCam and Nimda? If either one of these viruses attach to a PC then you will notice a drastic loss of speed and occasional locking up.

The System has been verified to be virus free.
By the way, I'm having the exact problem on two unrelated systems.

WHAT TYPE OF MOTHERBOARD ARE YOU RUNNING? AND HOW FAST AND WHAT KIND OF PROCESSOR IS IT?

Most common things to check:
1) check your startup programs in the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run ....disable anything unneeded.

2) Did you install IIS Virus protection, lots of system services? Windows 2000 (after bootup) keeps starting services until it's finished which delays startup for a while on loaded machines. Go into Control panel/administrative tools/services, and see whats set to startup automatic, and chack task manager processes for a bunch of unneeded services - disable unneeded ones. (this is hit-and-miss..you need to be careful on that one)

3) Are you leaving CD-ROMS in the drives? Windows 2000 will not start the explore.exe shell until it recognizes and starts-up your CDROM drives. If they have disks in them - it could take a while to get the I/O requests to spin the drives with all the services starting up. Take the CD's out of the drive before windows loads.

Those are common aside from Virus-activity. There are other things to check, but those are pretty standard. Windows 2000 comes fairly "bloated" after a fresh install. You should also try using a disk optimizer such as symantec's "speed disk". Note that you wont see much improvement if this is a fresh install - only if it's been in use for a while, and all previous tips have been tried to no avail.

Good luck.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back