Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 repeatedly starts up then reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

sedacca

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
Someone sold me a duff Windows 2000 on eBay and as I was going through the setup, the "starting Windows" screen came up and then rebooted. It nows keeps doing this until I physically pull the power plug out.

I've tried going to the command line prompt and reformatting the boot drive (C:), and the system warns me that I will lose all my data (as expected) but then after the format, it still boots up into Windows and reboots.

Any ideas?

Hello,

What kind of HW do you have? M/B, memory, Processor etc etc etc?

how far does it boot? if you're up for 30 seconds or so, you could change the auto-reboot setting and at least get a blue screen, which sometimes offers hardware-specific information that can point you in the right direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...but I'm just a C man trying to see the light

In reply to azpctech01:
I'm using a Gigabyte M/B, Duron 1200MHz, 256MB SDRAM, 40GB disk. No problem with hardware as far as I can make out because it will install a good copy of Windows 98 when I replace the duff NT formatted disk.

In reply to icrf:
It boots up OK, then starts loading Windows, when the machine suddenly resets, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

Have you tried the last known good profile from the F8 option at startup?

I had this exact same problem in the field today ...

Symptom,- Win2000 starts, gets to Starting Win2000 then screen goes blank and PC restarts.

This particular machine was being used as server for a small network and had 2 hard disks installed as master/slave.
I removed the second hard disk that was being used as the data drive and left the boot drive in, so I wouldn't damage any data.
Then I turned on the PC and it still did the reboot thing without the second drive.
I replaced the PSU as this was an easy thing to rule out.
It didn't help, in fact it wouldn't even start with a new PSU. So I replaced the original PSU and reseated the network card and the VGA card while I was inside the box.
I then turned it back on again and what do you know, it booted !
I then did three shutdown / restart cycles and all seemed fine, so I reconnected the slave data Hard Disk and it all worked perfectly.
I still don't know exactly what the problem was, whether it was a card not seated properly or whether it was the action of removing the power from the motherboard after I replaced the PSU or what ... all I can tell you is, it now works fine, oh.. and I scanned it for virus as well at this point - none found..
And I can't explain why my "new" PSU didn't work, (perhaps it was faulty, as I hadn't used it before).
This may or may not help you, but it's straight from the field today...
Being pressed for time today I didn't bother trying to get to the bottom of it, but the customer hasn't called yet, (10 hrs later) so I guess it's still running..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back