Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 reboots from tie to time Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajrey

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
Hello all! I have a PC running under win2000 and from time to time reboots by itself. This is a new PC. This specific user had another PC that was doing exactly the same thing. So I dont think is hardware the issue here. I erased the computer from the domain and re-entered that PC to the domain. Is doing the same thing. Keeps rebooting from time to time. Could it be something regarding the user? and not the computer name? Does anyone have any clue?

Please Im trying to fix this but the Event Viewer has no info for me. The las thing I did was to uncheck the Auto-Reboot on error in windows to get the blue screen and see what tells me.

Any other ideas?

Thnx

Do you have roaming profiles on your network?
If it is the same user on a different computer, I would start looking at the profile.
Also, look at your virus scanner. Some of them, like McAfee, can be set to reboot when an update arrives, or just once daily at a certain time.

Hope it helps.

Yves

To answer RoundAbout, yes I have Norton Up-to-date and with all patches.

Right now there are no policies running on the network. Im new here and last MIS didnt use them. (dont ask me why) lol

I was thinking of deleting the user or remove all the proviliges to that user and re-set them.

What do you think?

It may be a hardware issue of some sort. By default, is there is a BSOD the computer automatically restarts without showing you the code.

Disable the autorestart by going to system properties->Advanced tab->Startup and Recovery, and uncheck "Automatically reboot".

I had a flaky USB controller driver that would reboot W2K randomly, and of course I didn't see any error message, as it was back to the login screen when I looked later on.

I wound up getting and IRQ error blue screen... and found out shortly afterward my USB driver had "issues".

D

Another thing to check is your Windows Update settings. It is quite possible that you have set it to automatically download and install updates. Some of the recent updates will cause your PC to reboot in it's (supposedly) quiter moments. I have seen my server do this a couple of times recently.

Check it from Contro Panel, Automatic Updates and see which option is selected in the dialogue box. (I have mine set to daily at 03:00).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back