Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 professional and excel 97 access violation errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat2002

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
CA
I have a two computers with Office 97, Outlook 2002, Norton Antivirus, and Windows 2000 installed. These two computers share an HP LaserJet 1200 printer. I will first tell you how it's been installed and what has been done to try to troubleshoot the problem so you can narrow in on the problem as well.

First Windows 2000 was installed and joined an NT 4.0 domain.
As administrator, added the user account from the NT 4.0 domain to the local Win2k adminstrators group, and then logged on as that user.
Installed Office 97 (with SR1) - custom install - selected all options.
Upgraded to outlook 2002.
Installed Norton antivirus.
Installed Win2k Service Pack 2.
Ran Windows update, installed compatability updates and any drivers listed.

The computers are new Dell OptiPlex GX240, I'd hate to think hardware is an issue.

The only application these users use regularly is Excel 97, so it's hard to say if the problem occurs with other apps. They have a custom designed (vba) quote file.

I have updated drivers from Dell site, installed office 97 SR2, reinstalled service pack, and even reformatted and started from scratch again on one of the computers.

I've also (just yesterday, so I'm waiting to see what the result is) uninstalled outlook 2002 and norton antivirus on one of the computers, and uninstalled excel on the other then reinstalled with a different CD.

I've searched the Internet to try to find something that may address compatability issues, but nothing seems to point to a solution.

The error; The application, excel.exe, generated an application error. The error occurred on (date/time) The exception generated was c0000005 at address 300FFC2F - occurs sparodically, normally once or twice a day after the application has been open and used for most of the day.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kathy

Why are you using Office97 with Win2K and Outlook 2002? Thats an application error waiting to happen. Office is designed to integrate with each other - with the same versions only. There's enough bugs within Office 2000/2002 suite in itself - bring old Office97 in the mix, and you're not gaining any stability whatsoever.

Any reason for Office 97 with Outlook 2002? If you're putting Win2K on newer boxes, you should be installing matching Office suite products.

If you must use Office 97, just use Office 97..not Outlook 2002 along with it. Start one at a time until you find the cause. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back