Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Pro Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

scouts1

MIS
Jun 2, 2000
US
Are there any settings that need to be added to a Windows 2000 Pro installation to make it shutdown automatically? I have a Dell Inspiron 7000 Laptop that does not shutdown all the way. It stays on the splash that states that it is safe to shutdown. Is this normal for Windows 2000 Pro? I thought it was going to be like Win98 where it shuts down the pc automatically.<br><br>Can anyone help?<br><br>Thank you.

It depends on the machine<br>I have W2K Pro here at home and it completely shuts off like '98. But at work one machine I built did what you are saying. Even after I pressed the power button it went off for a second tehn the screen showed backup again. Another one shuts off just like '98<br>I built them all but they have different motherboards and different Chasis. It may be a BIOS setting too.<br><br>You migh call DELL and see if they know something. <p>DougP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

You may want to check the advanced tab of the power settings in the control panel. You must check the &quot;enable apm properties&quot; box for the auto shutdown to take effect.

There is a key in the registry called something like &quot;PowerOffOnShutdown&quot;. Set this equal to 1 and it might just solve your problem. I'm not on my Win2K machine at the moment so I cant tell you where to find this key. Reply to this if you cant find the key and I'll look it up for you and post it up tomorrow.

Happy Hunting

elziko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back