Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 printer drivers on NT4 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

outonalimb

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB

We have a mixture on Windows 2000 Pro and NT4 Workstation clients connected to a NT4 Server. We recently purchased a Brother laser printer and shared the printer on the server.

However, I can successfully install drivers for the NT4 Workstations but I need to add Windows 2000 drivers to the server to cater for Win2k Pro machines. The NT4 driver doesn't work properly when used on the Win2K Pro PC's.

Is there a way of adding Windows 2000 drivers to an NT4 Server when adding then sharing a printer?

Regards,

Make a 2000 server the print server. That'll help a lot. We were having a hell of a time trying to get a lexmark 4039 printer wo talk both NT4 and XP, then we moved the print server to 2000 and didn't have a problem since.

I've used the above mentioned approch a few times, but usually seemed flacky. NT4 doesn't like to have newer driver that it doesn;t understand sitting around, but 2000 couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back