Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKavanagh

IS-IT--Management
Oct 18, 2003
IE
I was recently working on a Celeron 500Mhz 128Mg RAM intel 810 chipset computer that another engineer had upgraded,however the monitor was out of range so I restarted in safe mode and changed the settings for lower colour and refresh values however Win 2000 froze so I tried Use last known good setup,same problem,restart in VGA mode bingo it worked however it crashed with the new values. SO I decided that 128 mg RAM which is the max the Computer can hold was insufficient for Win 2000,I installed WIN 98 SE but the first Reinstall failed,I then tried again and it got to 65% then the hard drive crashed and I could hear the famous chug chug sound,Does anybody have any suggestions to get the PC running with win 2000 once a new hard drive is installed,The Pc cannot accept graphics card due to bad montitor and monitor replacement is out of the question.

Sounds like bad memory to me .
Have you tried with another RAM chip/brand.
SYAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back