Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 hangs after windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickylam

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2001
I am running Win2K, everything fine, one day a small icon on the right corner notifying me to perform critical update. I click and follow the update procedure, after that it prompt me to restart . but...

The windows seems loading, until I saw the last window about "Restore network connection..." then hangs, no desktop icons, no hard drive motion sound, nothing, just the mouse pointer on the monitor.

I tried to perform :-
1. safe mode
2. safe mode (command prompt)
3. safe mode (vga mode)
4. last good known configuration

None of the above give same hangs after loading sometimes.

I tried also to find some registry restore tools to do, but windows seems do not have any command like "scanreg "

Anybody please let me how to solve, I have very important data inside.

Thanks.Thanks.

If you can get the machine to the point where you can hit ctrl+alt+dlt to get to task manager, then go to applications tab and file menu at the top select new task and type in explorer.exe this might bring the desktop up enough to access your virus scanning engine - do a virus def update immediately. Also If you have an ERD created (and even if you don't) you can use the W2K CD to boot from, try the repair option available from the setup program. The Recovery console also has a "dos" function called fixboot and fix mbr that might help. If you have access to another pc you might try to hook the drive into it as a slave and run a Vscan on it. Good luck.
Regards,
Lightspeed1

You can restore your system to the original state it was in, BUT BE AWARE THAT YOU WILL PROBABLY LOSE SOME INFORMATION. Not data, but maybe some software/hardware settings and user account information. Use Recovery Console

(To Install Recovery Console for future use once 2000 is working again - access Windows 2000 installation CD\I386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons)

Access Recovery Console:
If installed use the Boot Options Menu - select Recovery Console from the list
If not installed – OR – the MBR or system volume boot sector is damaged start Windows 2000 setup using bootable CD or the disk 1 of the 4 setup floppy disks
Press Enter at Setup
Press R to Repair
Press C to use Recovery Console
You must know the administrator password, you are prompted for it and have 3 chances
Select the installation that you would like to manage

Replace registry files:
Copy files from %systemroot%\repair to %systemroot%\system32\config to return system to the state after install – careful here these files are the ones that were backed up the very first day you installed Win2k - the only user accounts you'll have are administrator and guest - and you must remember the administrator password from that original install!

OR IF YOU HAVE BACKED UP THE REGISTRY:

Copy files from %systemroot%\repair\regback to %systemroot%\system32\config to return system to the state of the registry after last registry backup with System State option selected or ERD option - if you haven't performed these tasks, you won't have this folder

There is possibility that the pc displays more data than the video is able to process. Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, then Settings, then Advanced, then Troubleshooting. Set your Hardware Acceleration to a low level, 20-40%. Click Apply everywhere.

Best

Kuppa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back