Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Freezes when connected to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

angels1

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2003
US
My Windows 2000 Freezes when connected to internet I connect through a lan no other system has the problem I installed a new nic card but did not help I reformatted drive and reinstalled th OS and still had the problem any suggestions

Well you certainly took some major troubleshooting steps. Since you replaced the NIC card and actually re-formatted the drive - how is your actual connection to the hub/switch? Have you tried another system plugged into the same port? Is this a wireless NIC? You said that connect through the LAN - can you ping other systems on the Lan?

- CN

If you are useing ethernet 10/100, check your wirine. A crossed or split pair will give you problems as well. A wire mapping meter makes this easy but if you don't have on you will have to check both ends. Also make sure that your patch cables are 100% ok.

This computer is in a business and I had a spare to put in its place. The replacement is doing fine connected to the same place. I actually am having the same problem with this machine connected in another place on the network I am beginning to think that it is something internally with the computer.

At a command prompt type ping 127.0.0.1. This is the loop back address it will test you TCP/IP protocol. If you get Request Timed Out four times then uninstall TCP/IP and Reinstall it. Also make sure that your Network portions of your IP address are the same as the rest of the network and that dns servers and gateway are correct. If all this is correct and you have uninstalled tcp/ip and you still do not have connectivity you probably have a bad nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back