Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 forgot logon password 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemus2000

Technical User
Nov 16, 2003
US
the password has been changed and i'm unable to logon onto windows. How can i get around this. help!

Ask the one who changed it?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

that's just the problem: the person who changed the password does not remember the password.

ok, there a loads of threads already dealing with this.
I'll just give you some advice before you go through the threads:
1: Do NOT let ANYONE have the authority to change passwords if they don't have the discipline to remember.
2: Important passwords should ALWAYS be kept in a safe or at least a safe place (people die sometimes..)

Have an Administrator account with a password known only to IT.
Have an account called Backup Admin. Different password. Known only to YOU.
DON'T tell anyone the passwords and set up new accounts for users.

Otherwise, read plenty of other threads that detail loads of options open to you. We have a Linux CD that allows you to boot to a command prompt and change the admin password as you wish. Works with NTFS disks too.

But that was from someone outside the department as we make sure no one outside IT have the password (fingers crossed).

Good idea is to write these passwords, put them in an envelope, seal the envelope and put these passwords in your company safe.

:)

my apologies to all of you who answered. maybe i did not make myself clear. THe issue here is not password do's and don'ts. the issue here is that i cannot log on to windows because this person changed the password and does not remember it. In essence, i turn on the computer and can't get past the logon screen. this is the advice i'm looking for. is there a way to get into the system to change or reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows or whatever. but how?

Yeah, that really bites. Been there and I am sad to say, done that. There are few options. You can't really reset, that is the security of it all. There are batch files out there to find for you-there are ones you pay for:

or free :

:
There are many other progs. out there to crack a password.

They say it better than I can. Only suggestion for the future, keep an ERD, Emergency Repair Disk, handy.

Also, can you sign in as any other account, other than administrator? I realize the guest account can be disabled, but are there other accounts active that you could sign through??

Good luck and let me know how it goes1..

Cheers-

"Life emerges from the birth canal of my imagination". G.G.

Reset the local admin password to blank with this util.
Makes a floppy boot diskette to boot the pc.

Entering a single * as the password will blank the password for that user with this utility.
Please read the contents/guide on the page first.

Download the Bootdisk image.
And the DOS Program to write floppy images.

lemus2000[/],

both myself and Zelandakh did answer your question, by refering you to existing threads.

Why? Because the same questions get asked over and over again and it is a little effort for you to look for these threads and choose a solution that fits you best.

As you see, you get alot of tips and links, most of them already posted here hudreds of times.

So, this is not intended to be unhelpful, it is intended to minimize the posts and repetition, which clutter the forums.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

my apologies mark 41. I do see your point. It took me a while to get to the "threads" after reading your first e mail it finally dawned on me. duh. thanks again.

wow. Thanks everyone. It worked. i'm impressed.
special thanks to SYAR2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back