Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 file copy floods network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymason

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
We have a 10MBps ethernet network with predominantly Windows95 workstations attached and it all works well. We are now looking at rolling out Windows 2000. The problem we have noticed is that when a large file is initiated on a Windows 2000 Pro workstation it floods the network segment it is on, resulting in very poor performance for all other attached workstations. The copy works fine and in good time. We have a hub with a set of LEDs which show network utilisation. Copies initiated on Windows95 have little effect, but on Windows 2000 the LEDs all light up on the Hub and until the copy finishes, the segment is flooded.

The Win2000 workstations are running TCP/IP for MS Networking connections and IPX for Netware (Client32) connections. The problem seems to occur for both MS and Netware file copies.

Has anyone else noticed Windows 2000 creating a lot more traffic on a network than Win95.

Thanks in Advance

Since I assume that you do not have a WINS server or Active Directory running... You will need to modify the host file on each client to map entity names to IP addresses. The clients can't find the target so they broadcast.

My best guess.

Good luck,

Mike Tao is the mobius. The ribbon of heaven and earth, you cannot lose your way.

My question is, if the two workstations have established a session with an initial broadcast to find each other, why would they keep sending broadcasts to the network during copying?

I thought that each client also maintains a temporary cache containing host addresses once they have initially been discovered?

If I am wrong then I apologise but am just trying to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back