Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Domain Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiredNDC69

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
I have a few questions regarding setting up a Windows 2000 Domain. My business partner wants me to reformat our server and do AD on the server and would like to have a "roaming profile" so he would be able to have access to his email on any machine that he needs to sit down in front of.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to any special equipment on the server or anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks

Promoting the server to Domain controller status and installing Acitve Directory doesn't require any special equipment. Furthermore, "Roaming Profiles" is a built in feature of Win2K. Roaming Profiles works with 9x/2K/XP. Although 9x cleints have "issues" with roaming profiles.

In the Users profile in AD, be sure to specify the location of the roaming profile directory and use the command \\servername\profilefolder\%username% to have the users folder automatically created, and refered to during the logon process.

9x Roaming Profiles:
Windows 2000 roaming Profiles:

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back