Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Domain. New server with Windows 2003 ... Clarifications !

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabil00786

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2007
US
Hi ya all!

This is what I have:

1. Windows 2000 domain (2 servers, PDC & BDC)
2. 20 Desktops joined to the domain.

The Plan:

1. Planning on adding another server, but with Windows 2003 Std or Ent (Not sure).
2. Planning on making this new server a PDC.

The Clarifications & Questions:

1. Do I need to get CALs for 2003 for desktops to join the domain? or would the already installed CALs for Win. 2000 be fine?
2. Are CALs actually needed to join the Domain?
3. Is Transfering FSMO roles from Windows 2000 domain to Windows 2003 domain an issue? Best way to do it?

Million Dollar Question:

1. What would be the best fit for a new Windows 2003 server in an already existing Windows 2000 domain. Keeping in mind I want to take the current Win 2000 PDC offline, to clean install Win 2000 because of a virus attack.

Any help in this would help me immediately get on with the project. Thank you very much for your time and advise.

- Bill

You have to purchase Windows Server 2003 CALs separately. You cannot use Windows 2000 Server CALs with Windows Server 2003. But you can downgrade Windows Server 2003 CALs to use on a Windows 2000 Server.

You have to specify the type of CAL lisencing (Per Device or Per User) while you are setting up the server(s).

You can transfer the FSMO roles to a newly introduced Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller from your Windows 2000 Server. You have to perform the same procedure as you perform for a Windows 2000 Server.

Introducing a Windows Server 2003 Domain Controller in a Windows 2000 Domain will make changes to the Schema. If you have Exchange in your current Windows 2000 Domain, read this Microsoft KB:

To clean install one of your Windows 2000 Domain Controllers:

1. Transfer any FSMO roles it holds, to an other functional Domain Controller.
2. Demote the server to a member server.
3. Remove the server from AD.
4. Reinstall Windows 2000 Server or install Windows Server 2003.
5. Promote the server back as a Domain Controller.
6. Transfer any service if you had wish to this server.

You have to follow the same procedures that you should follow to upgrade your Windows 2000 Domain to Windows Server 2003 Domain, except for the steps where you raise the Foreset/Domain functional level and remove the Windows 2000 Domain Controllers.

Hope this helps. Post back if you have any questions.

-Keshav

In addition to what's posted above:

1. You will need Server 2003 CALs to connect to a 2003 server, regardless of whether the machines are joined to a 2003 domain or not.

2. No, you do not need CALs to join a domain. And there is no technological requirement to have CALs to connect to a server. But there is a legal requirement.

3. I think that you'll have issues if you upgrade the domain to a 2003 functional level and want to keep Windows 2000 boxes as DCs. But you can run them at the 2000 level.

And while it's not on the list, PDCs and BDCs haven't existed since Windows NT4. In Windows 2000 there are FSMO roles instead (which include the PDC emulator). But if your server that holds the PDC role dies there isn't another box that will take over for the PDC emulator automatically. You will have to manually transfer the roles.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your continued information. Please keep on adding anything you see fit. Its helping me alot in getting certain concepts clear. I would request some light on the following:

Equipment:

1. SAN storage, 1 TB, one NIC.
2. Server with Veritas 10d (Windows Server 2003 Agent) + Tape Drive.
3. Size to backup - 30GB approx.

The Plan:

1. To backup SAN Storage - 30 GB approx. using veritas.

Clarifications:

1. Any other agent I need besides Windows Server 2003, to backup Data on SAN?

2. How do I do it using Veritas? I have used veritas extensively but unfortunately never backed up SAN.

Note: I know this is not a "Backup" .... topic, but a continued discussion so I posted it here.

Thank you,
-Bill

Correction !!

I am using NAS (Terastation) not SAN.

sorry!

-Bill

You just have to make sure that each of the volumes on the NAS is mapped from the server (or available via UNC path) and then back it up like anything else in Veritas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back