Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WINDOWS 2000 DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnamo999

IS-IT--Management
Mar 20, 2003
US
Does anyone know if it is possible to define more than one domain name in the 015 Domain Name DHCP Option for multiple FQDN name resolution avenues? My box is Windows 2000 Advanced Server with DHCP on it and I have three different domains that need to be entered like DNS suffixes for the clients to search through. Is this possible?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

No.

015 refers to the domain name the client exists in (ie. The DNS Suffix for this connection option)- it isn't a DNS search suffix.

I don't *think* there is a way to do what you want.

Ash.

On the clients, you can specify a search order that will be appended to names to make them fully qualified. For example, you could put mydomain.com and myotherdomain.com in the search order. When you go looking for the computer server1, it will append the first entry in the search order and see if it can find that, then the second, etc. The only problem with this is if you have two computers that start with (for example) server1 (i.e. server1.mydomain.com and server1.myotherdomain.com). It will find the one for the domain highest up in the search order unless you explicitly specify the fully qualified domain name. You can find this setting on the client: right click my network places, properties, right click network connection, properties, highlight tcp/ip, properties button, advanced button, DNS tab, append these dns suffixes button; enter your domains and put them in the order you wished them searched with the up and down arrow buttons. Also check the "use netbios over tcp/ip" setting seen in the WINS tab. If this is checked, you will be doing WINS resolution, not DNS resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back