Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Compatibility Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomit

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
GB
We have a Windows 2000 application which is currently running on XP in compatibility mode. Is there a way we can run this application under Windows 7?

W7 supports a whole bunch of compatibility modes, one of which is indeed W2000 (note that I'm not saying that this means your app will definitely run, just that the compatibility mode exists)

What version of Win7 do you have?

I should ask what version are you going to use?

Thanks for the replies. I haven't got a copy of Windows 7 yet, I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game as we will be rolling out Windows 7 to around 3500 desktops, hopefully before XP expires.

If you have a program that runs in Windows XP, then you should be able to run it in Windows 7, providing you have Windows 7 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise. These editions are able to run XP Mode, from there you should be able to run the software in question without a problem. This is how I set up some of my business customers that had very dated software & it works well, that said, you should test it on a Win 7 system to be positive it will function properly.

Windows 7 has an XP compatibility mode. Right click on the exe, Properties. When the dialog pops up, select the compatibility tab. There are lots of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back