Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Child Domains in Forest - Confusion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfk4t

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
GB
Hi

We are about to start the dreaded upgrade from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007.

And after looking at all the M$ docs and information over load from the web, does our child domains need upgrading to Windows 2003?

We have a Windows AD Forest with Windows 2003 AD at the Root, and this holds our current Exchange 2000 Server. We have 5 child domains (soon to be collapsed into just the 1 domain, the current root domain).

When I run the Exchange Server 2007 CD and get it to do the pre-install check, it screams out, that we have windows 2000 domain GC in the child domains and they need upgrading. Although, we have not run the AD prep tools yet.

Is this true, since we have no intension of installing an Exchange 2007 server there.

We have run the anaylser tool, but it does not mention the child domains.

What should I do?

Rob

You have to run the adprep and forestprep in each domain first.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Davetoo

Thanks for the advice, although, I am aware of the domain prep commands.

I suppose the question is, can I install exchange at the root of the forest, whilst the doamins are still on Windows 2000?

Thanks

Rob

Run the preps then see if it still screams out.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back