Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 cannot install VB6 app

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegregory

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
I have packaged an application in VB6 and tried to install it on a windows 2000 server with SP2.
When i install it gets to the end of the install process and tells me to re-boot the server as certain files cannot be updated.
I re-booted the server and did the install again and i get the same thing, i have now re-booted more times than i care to remember and still the same error message.
The app was writen on a 2000 server that is setup the same way as the one the app is written on (appart from VB is not installed).

Whats going on?

Please specify the exact errormessage.. inorder to assist you better...

meanwhile, you may check your registry settings, Security policy and Computer policy as well on your Windows 2000 Server. also, try installing under administrator rights..

regds,
Shankar K. Warm Regds,
Shankar K.

This is caused by a Microsoft "feature" called Windows File Protection. It restores any system file overwritten by an application installation program to the version installed via the original OS install/Service Pack/HotFix. Hence the continual reboot--the installation installs, and the WPF restores...

You'll have to make sure the production machine has the same servicePacks and/or Hot fixes installed as the development machine and the install will not attempt to update the "out of date" system file.

Description of WFP here:
Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q222193[/URL]

Mark

Thanks for the prompt reply's.
I took a chance and re-installed SP2 on the windows 2000 server and then ran setup again. £ files were not updated as they were in use but at least i got the program on the server and it works.

Thanks

Lee

Hi Guys!

I'm kind of having the same problem. My app was developed in VB6 sp5 in a Win 2000 sp4 machine. I packed and deployed the app using InstallShield, since the PDW had me rebooting the machines over and over again every time I ran the setup, and if I tried to uninstall, it couldn't.

Anyway, now with the InstallShield I get to install my app but I get an error of registering/unregistering dlls. It says that it cannot register/unregister them although it does install the app. But this error is causing adverse effect on my app! For example, when trying to insert records in the database, it does it for some machines, but not others. Or it shows the user the data at one point, but not 2 minutes later... stuff like that.

If you can shed some light into this issue, I'll appreciate it. Microsoft was of no help.

Thanks in advance.

Nunina [gorgeous]

It sounds as if you've "forced" an install of the application by in effect, copying your executables to the target machine. If the dll's and controls you referenced in your project (and subequently in your executable) are not the same as are registered on the destination machine, it's not going to work, The errors you encountered during the installation may indicate the versions of the dlls attempting to be installed do not have compatible support dlls installed on the target machine.

Make sure the client machines have the same SP (or higher) installed if they are running the same OS as on the development machine (Win 2000 sp4). Also make sure they have the latest MDAC (2.8) installed, or at least a reference a common MDAC install when (or if) you reference ADO in your project references.

Mark

"You guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
- Bill Peterson, a Florida State football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back