Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Boots slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

acesteward

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
US
I recently installed a 512 MB Ram chip into my computer to add to the two ram chips already installed, 128mb and 256 mb , well, the new 512 mb chip didn't want to work right so I removed the chip, but when I removed the chip my computer boots really slowly, I need some help on this, I am a tech user, but this is a new one on me. The bios seems fine, everything boots right until it starts booting windows, then it takes like fifteen minutes to go from the booting windows 2000 screen to getting to the login screen. Please help.

thanx
Ace

You can try to delete the pagefile. And probably change the settings of the pagefile.

As far as I know w2k will make a new one.

Ciao

Ok here's the deal, the pagefile editing info didn't work. I switched around the ram and ah ha. it works now.

Thanx

What kind of switch did you make? Never know when I may run into this... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I had the 256 mb chip in slot one and the 128 in slot two, just switched them to 128 in slot one and then 256 in slot two, A tech friend of mine told me that some motherboards require it, and some motherboards require that it goes from the largest chip in slot one and so on.

Cool, Thanks... Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back