Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 and IIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwel

Programmer
Aug 18, 1999
GB
Will IIS run on Windows 2000, or should I opt for the Windows PWS?

yes, iis 5 comes with win2000 on professional and server. we are using professional.

I upgraded my win xp home edition to win xp professional as advised by the people in these discussion boards - all I want is to have a similar set up to that which I had previously running win95 with a PWS. Having gotten the win xp professional, I don't know how to envoke the IIS which so many people say comes with win xp professional. Please can anyone advise me? I'm getting to the "pulling my hair out" stage"

Thank you in anticipation,

Jim

Jim,
Windows XP doesn't install IIS by default, you have to go to the "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, go to "Add/Remove Windows Componenets" and check the box for "Internet Information Services (IIS)" (and have your install CD handy). Then you can start it from within the administrative tools folder (or, pull up a command prompt and type "net start w3svc"). But first, download all the security updates.

-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back