Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

windows 2000 and 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

suha

Programmer
Aug 19, 2000
JO
Hello

I have windows 2000 on my pc and a printer is connected to it, this printer has to be shared with other workstations, i tried to share this printer with a pc of windows 98 a message appear and asked for a password for IPC$ i tried my password of the network it doesn't work what is the IPC$ and what i have to do to get everything right.

suha

1. OPEN the printer folder in W2000 (select control panel.. printers..)

Select your printer to be shared. Right click on that and a window will open.

Click on the sharing
click on the Shard as .. and fill up a proper name.. (this will be the printer name as seen in other computers for this printer)
Now click on the security tab and see that EVERY ONE can use it. If not add EVERY ONE to use the printer.
Now you are done.
Hope this helps.

ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

If this is a home computer I suggest just enabling the GUEST account. You do this by.
Right clik on my computer and go to manage. Next go to the Local Users and Groups. Then cclick on the Users folder. Double click on the GUEST account and UNSELECT Disable. This wil give the other users permission to use what ever you share without having to create accounts for them. BUT...
This is if you are not worried about security since it allows anyone to access the resources. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back