Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 Adding Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashpp

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2002
GB
Hi,

Got a network with a Windows 2000 Server and NW5 server. Clients are using Windows 2000 Pro with NW Client 4.83 - clients are logging on to the MS domain aswell. Using non-ndps printers all served by NW.

Is there any kind of program like CON2PRT for adding printers to the Printer folder on Windows 2000? (I don't want them mapped to LPT ports)

Its quite a small network so currently they are just being installed locally. But really need a better solotion.

Secondly Point & Print doesn't seem to be working when going to \\servername\qname Windows comes up and says the server hasn't got the correct drivers and then requests them - this occurs on all printers.
You are then asked to manually select the printer make and model.

Point & Print has been set up by a admin as normal by right clicking on the printer name and adding Windows 2000 drivers - the drivers are in the correct location on the server.

P&P works fine on our 95/98 clients - I've tried reinstalling the drivers and I've just deleted all the older 95/98 drivers which hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance.

Ash.

You could accomplish this task if you use NDPS. Are you able to set this up?

Seancane

I need to do that please can you let me know how as I am having lots of problems printing mainly through lack of knowledge of how to set the damn things up!

Problem 1 We have mainly HP printers that work OK but some always ask for letter sized paper and we use A4 so you always have t press the go button even if you change it on the local PC is there a way to to do it in Netware Admin

Problem 2 Some printers don't work at all with Win 2000 PC's

Problem 3 Lexmark and NDPS how? it keeps telling me the gateway is down???

Problem 4 Sharp Printers can I set these on NDPS if so how or as a non NDPS printer or how?

Problem 4 If I force the printers to push out to all the users the PC freeze when starting up???

Problem 5 what is the difference between Public access and Controlled printing which is best if I don't mind where people print to?

Any help greatly accepted!

Problem 1 - you can switch this off at the printer itself, should be under the Paper Handling menu and is entitled something like Letter/A4 over-ride

Problem 2 - explain more! Most likely a driver issue??

Problem 3 - don't bother using the gateway. Just configure a normal NDPS Printer pointing to the IP Address of the printer.

Problem 4 - Sharp Printers - if you can configure IP on them, you can configure NDPS Printing. Your freezing issue could be caused by either DS or volume problems. Run a DSREPAIR repairing all errors. If they still persist, run a VREPAIR on the volume where the NDPS details are

Problem 5 - Public Access printers can be used by anyone. Controlled access printers have an Access Control list of who can print to the printer. You can create all of your NDPS Printers as Controlled Printers, then put your Organization in as a user of the printer so everyone can still print to it.

Hope this helps -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

>You could accomplish this task if you use NDPS. Are you >able to set this up?
>Seancane

Thanks for your reply.

NDPS and Zenworks are planned for this site but not for the a couple of months. (Lots of printers are being served using NPTWIN at the moment. Sites moving over to a IP netport printing based on NDPS - but cabling haven't got the infrastructure sorted yet)

Any other suggestions in the mean time?

Cheers

Ash.

I've can install the printers by using this command in the login script

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /c\\pserver /n\\pserver\printer_name

Unfortunately P&P still isn't working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back