Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000 AD / DNS / Roaming Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiredNDC69

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
Ok, I posted last Wednesday or Thursday looking for a good refernce point for properly setting up AD. Of course with my schedule didn't have time to read. I just jumped in on setting it up. Install seemed to go fine.

After starting up the AD I ran into a few problems. This server unfortunately is also going to need to be an end-user workstation as well as the authentication. So the first problem was that I was not able to let a normal end-user log on to the machine, said not allowed to log on locally. However anyone with admin priveledges was able to. After extensive research I found it was a local policy change. Got that taken care of.

I was also trying to get the roaming profiles to work. I was using the full path for the location of the roaming profile and in doing so I was getting an erro message about not being able to locate the path. Seemed to be a DNS error.

Was able to get that fixed by changing my DHCP server to point to intself first for resolution of names. When doing so, it then knocked out the internet. I tried to get in my DNS to do a forwarder to my ISP DNS for items it could not resolve; however, the item was greyed out.

So, to cut this semi-short. I removed the long path of \\server.domain.local\profiles\<username> and went right to \\server\profiles\<username>

And removed the not needed DNS server in my DHCP server.

Anyone able to slap my hands and tell me how foolishly I set this up and the more proper way that would have given me less headaches is?

I will say that from setting down on Thursday night about 8:00 pm and going to bed about 4:00 and then at the customer sight by 10:00. That time I installed the Windows OS / Setup the AD and usernames learned what needed to.

Just ran into a few kinks, just not the good kind of kink. lol.

Roaming Profiles: In the users profile tab use the \\servername\profiles\%username%. Make sure the Profiles folder is shared, with proper permissions set.

DNS Forwarders - remove the &quot;.&quot; root and then you'll be able to set up forwarders.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back