Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 2000/2003 Replication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondy

Technical User
Jan 1, 2003
AU
I have an exisitng Windows 2000 domain (orange.vic.com.au). It has 2 domain controllers. One of the domain controllers is a DNS server for the domain, all records appear to be normal, and DNS is functioning correctly.

I have installed 2 new servers with Windows 2003, and created a new child domain within the same forrest (blue.vic.com.au). I have installed DNS on one fo the new servers, with the zone blue.vic.com.au. When attempting to force a replication in AD Sites And Services between domains, i get the error "The RPC server is unavailable". I also get this error when trying to replicate the 2 Windows 2003 servers, in the same domain.

I have tried all Microsoft suggested sollutions, none of which work. I have however identified what i beleibe the problem is.

In DNS on the new 2003 server (blue.vic.com.au) the Domains and GC folders are missing from the _msdcs folder. furthermore there are no "Alias CNAME" entries in the root _msdcs. I have tried removing and reinstalling DNS.

I did not create the initial orange.vic.com.au domain, so i am not sure how it was setup. However i noticed that when i went to create a new zone manually on the new server, an option was to allow all DNS server in the FORREST ORANGE.VIC.COM.AU access. Shouldn't the forrest be vic.com.au? and the domain orange.vic.com.au? Could this be causing the problem?

Are there any AD/DNS experts out there who can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back