Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 200 DHCP Server not giving out addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel2002

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2003
US
Recently rebuilt out dhcp server to windows 2000. Fresh build sp3. No Scope. about 70% of clients recieved ip adresses. Our boot disk we used to use to get on the network and load pc's no longer get ip adresses. I hardcoded one disk and i got onto the network. my problem is i need these disks to obtain ip's from the dhcp server. I've checked everything i can think of, still not seeing where the problem lies. If anyone can help i'd appreciate it. thanks

maybe I'm missing something, but you said 'no scope'....
you need a scope

i'm sorry we have a scope. class 22 network. 255.255.252.0.
it's funny because I hardcoded the disk today and it got on the network but i am stumped as to why it's not getting an address from the dhcp server. I was litterally in the same room as the server. Same cisco 2924 switch the server was plugged into.

A few questions and ideas...

How big is the scope?

Did you use all of the addresses in a 255.255.252.0 subnet?

Did you super-scope a bunch of subnets?

Did you build a scope for the subnet that you are on?

Look in the DHCP log for info. There should be some remarks about the request.

IF you have a sniffer, you should be able to see the requests and replies from the server and clients.

Generally I find that there is an octet boundary violation somewhere in the subnet masks.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back