Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Will only boot with a USB drive inserted??? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_F

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2018
US
I made some changes to my my bios to set it up for 3rd party imaging.... now Windows will not boot unless I have a USB drive inserted... Nothing on the drive ... just put one in and then windows says "To bot from USB press any key" then it boots just fine... not key pressed... any thoughts on y this is happening??

Thanks in Advance

Go back into your BIOS and make the boot from your internal drive the first entry. If you still have a valid boot image on the drive it should boot up with no problem.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Sounds like the usb drive has some windows system files on there such as the bootloader.
You can probably start the machine in safe mode with command prompt and attempt to move the system partition back to the original location.
This usually requires commands such as fixboot fixmbr and another which escapes me right now.

Computer Repair London and IT Support
SysFix IT Support
23 Whitestone Way
Croydon
CR0 4WF
020 3095 7740

Thanks Sysfix
Thats exactly what the problem was
All is working now
Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.