Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Upgrade Questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I've only run Windows 10 so far in a virtual machine, using Oracle's software. I have a question that I imagine many will encounter over the next few years.

So let's say you upgrade to Windows 10, and then 6 months later, you decide to sell the computer you upgraded. Chances are, you linked a Microsoft account with your Windows upgrade. So if you sell or give your computer to someone else, how do you ensure that you are giving them a totally wiped clean system, with no links back to your personal information? Does Windows 10 now offer a good clean-sweep type approach the way Google and Apple do on their mobile devices?

Just something I was thinking about. I actually have 3 such questions I'll post separately.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Linney's links cover completely wiping the machine but if you want to leave Windows intact then Windows 10 (and 8.1) has a 'reset' option which essentially does a clean install. See this article for a description of how it worked in build 10130.

Nelviticus

Nelviticus,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

linney,

Yes, those are good thoughts, but not what I was after. I was thinking of an in place reinstall or just wiping any personal files/settings. But if the Windows 10 free upgrade would include the ISO image which you could then burn to a disk and use that way, so you can easily just format and do a clean install (from links in other thread), then this definitely is the way I'd prefer to go. In my opinion, it takes more time, but it's definitely worth spending the extra time to ensure less chance of personal data leaking to the next owner.

And I do specifically like the first link from Microsoft where they list a few disk wiping tools in one place.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back