Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Update on a USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

xarzu

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2012
US
Windows 10 Update on a USB

I got locked in one of those update loops. You know what I mean, probably. My Windows 10 would start an automatic update, then fail, and then reset itself to a previous version. This would happen all of the time.

I eventually decided to back everything up on an external drive and simply reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Then I found out that the CD (or maybe it is a DVD) was lost in our move. I have the ("OEM"?) sticker but the actual product CD has been lost in the move and I can not find it. Does anyone know how I can reinstall the OS with just the product ID etc.?

Someone suggest this link as a way to fix the problem:

So I tried the option on this page that uses

"net stop wuauserv"
and
"net stop bits"

and for a while, I thought I was successful in stopping the update cycle.

But I was wrong. It came back and the computer was again performing an update only to, at the end of the update cycle, automatically reset the OS to en earlier version after it recognized an error.

So, now I am at the point where I want to find a way to back up my system (I have already done this with one of those high capacity external drives) and installing a fresh Operating System. But this takes me back to the problem of not having the CD. Is there some way of doing this with using a USB Thumb Drive? Please advise. Also, what sorts of things do I need to look out for? I imagine I should also back up the registry.

Go to this link and choose the second option
Link
>>>Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC

Back up your data. You don't need to back up the registry because you'll have to reinstall all your programs.

Download the ISO
Create the flash drive with the bootable Windows 10 installation software on it
Set the PC to boot to USB or do a one time boot selection (like F12 for Dells)
The windows 10 install will start from USB
Make sure to DELETE the partition that windows is installed during the installation for a 100% clean install
You don't need a product key. Windows 10 "knows" that your computer has been licensed for Windows 10 and it will automatically activate it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Unfortunately MS has removed the ISOs of the previous versions. They would be handy if for some reason the latest doesn't work out for you.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I don't understand that comment. The OP would want the latest version of Windows 10 and it will install without any license input. Where is the problem?

A clean install of the latest version SHOULD work unless there is some major hardware incompatibility. The current problem could be caused by a software incompatibility. Only way to find out is to try to get the base OS installed.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I agree with goombawaho, you want to install the latest version of windows 10 and then after you have it installed immediately pull in all patches that were not in the ISO. You don't want an old version where your problem can regenerate it's self.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back