Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 unusable after 2004 update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I've got an older PC that just upgraded to 2004. It wouldn't even run afterwards. After typing the password for the user, the audio would just starting doing a chopping sound and never stop or get to the desktop. If it did get to the desktop, you could hit the Windows + R key to run something and it would take 4 minutes to respond. Strangely, the ALT CNTRL DEL popped up immediately, but it ran like molasses if you tried FILE, Run New Task from Task Manager.

I restored it from before the upgrade and then 100% back to normal. I'm afraid to let it update again. The only changes I have made was re-enabled Cortana via registry and disabling Fast Start. I don't know how else to troubleshoot it since the upgrade WAS successful, it just caused some very bad issues. Ideas??

ASUS P8H77-V, I3-3330, 16GB RAM, 250GB Samsung 860 SSD
The hardware is healthy and all drivers are up to date.

This scenario seems to happen more often in the last 4 years due to Microsoft being lax on testing. As to why it happens, it rarely affects multiple machines so I general do not trouble shoot, I do as you did, a system restore, then I repeat the install. 90% of the time it updates with no issue the second time around.
I do not sweat desktops but I do servers. The last server incident I had was due to an MS update, corrupted a teamed network card setup, everything stopped for the client until I reinstated the network config and the teaming, after which the updated install properly. Getting to the point I think I will disable updates on server, then manually install them every few months.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Well, the update did install successfully as in it completed, but it hosed the system.

So, advice is to just try it again, see what happens, it will probably work.
Sounds kind of like Russian roulette.

Had a few updates which required multiple restarts (and re-installs) to get machines running again which is always loads of fun when trying to bill for the time. Then there was a few machines I needed to do an "upgrade install" to recover from an update, not fun.

"Sounds kind of like Russian roulette."
Now when a server with Active Directory or a raid acts up, it sure feels like it.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

Okay - second try at installing 2004 update. Same deal. The update finished just fine and rebooted and I could get to the desktop once and then that was it. So slow - molasses at 10 degrees.

Managed to get it into Safe Mode (via msconfig) and it ran okay with all non-microsoft services also disabled. As soon as I chose regular boot - hosed again. Any ideas? All my years of PC-teching and I'm just totally flummoxed by this.

Looks like you have become an unlucky victim of 2004. You should be able to get to system restore in safe mode. If successful I would not attempt 2004 again.

Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back