Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Strange problems recently appear caused by microsoft ransomeware protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flinx

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2001
US
<rant>
recently I had some strange issues crop up that made no sense, and if they generated errors at all they also did not make sense.

First was this one:
the next one happened this morning. I was making a backup to blu-ray (which worked fine).
I (being a bit old school) went to a command prompt and attempted to issue this command in a folder the path of which is c:\users\username\documents\backup

command was as such dir /s d: > backup24.txt
simple right?
no! it comes back with file not found (I don't remember the exact wording).
What the heck! file not found?! it should just create the file.
now I think I'm losing my mind because I've been working on computers since dos 2.11 I've done this MILLIONS of times. after confirming I haven't suddenly developed dementia (by googling the command), I try creating the file in the GUI (which works) and run the command again.
the results:
not enough space on the disk
there's 759 gigs free!

Remembering what happened yesterday I go in to ransomware protection and sure enough CMD.EXE is blocked from accessing that folder and a bunch of other folders (most of which I never use).

I unblock it and the command works perfectly.

If the command had come back with "access denied" I would have dealt with it differently, but the unconventional errors that did not match the actions being prevented was not helpful.

I don't know when Ransomware protection was installed. my googlefu says possibly sometime in 2019, but that it was not activated by microsoft until recently (because I didn't activate it or even know about it). All this worked in september 2022.
I've only had this computer about 2.3 years.
</rant>

This is what I hate about the whole Windows update thing. Microsoft (or others) installing software on your computer - however wlll intentioned - without telling you and without making it clear what the update is or what it does. And it's that much worse when the update actually prevents you from doing routine tasks, as is the case here.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

however well intentioned"

As far as I'm concerned, if anyone changes the functionality I work with without warning me first, it is not well-intentioned.
And I will add that I am sick of the current fad of changing things without improving anything. That is just change for the sake of it, aka a poor excuse for justifying your salary.
The steering wheel hasn't changed in a hundred years, it still works fine.
Why do we have to have a UI revamp of everything everywhere every six months ? Did the last intern get changed again ?
Somebody get me out of this madhouse, please.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

pmonett said:
The steering wheel hasn't changed in a hundred years

I would beg the difference. This is what the steering wheel used to be and this is what we have today
[wiggle]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back