Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Security/Access Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchemist

Programmer
Mar 2, 2009
US
I am running a split Access (2007) database at a non-profit. It consists of two Laptops with a copy of the FE database, that are connected by wired Ethernet to a Desktop with the BE Database. All three computers are running Windows 10. That means that both Laptops are simultaneously accessing Tables back in the BE database, with Access handling the "Traffic Control". The System has worked well for several months in this configuration.

Recentlwy I replaced one of the Laptops with a newer HP Laptop - with a slightly newer version of Windows 10 from what we have been using.

Now only one of the Laptops at a time will run normally. When we try to run the second on simultaneously, we get an error message that says that the BE database has been Exclusively opened by another user. Keep in mind that NOTHING has changed here except inserting a Laptop with a newer version of Windows 10 into the System.

Can someone please tell me how to prevent this error?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Can all users from all PCs create and delete files in the folder containing the BE? Do you see the locking file created in the BE folder when the first user opens the FE?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Hi Duane,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not totally sure of the answer to your first question. I'll be down there tomorrow and make sure that all users DO have Read, Wright, and Delete permissions for that folder. I would assume they do, since this has never before been a problem before, and the users haven't changed.

I do know that it's definitely true that the lock file does get created in the BE folder, when either of the two users/Laptops starts running their FE version of the database and tries to access a BE Table.

I am also not totally sure if the BE database is set to open in Exclusive or Shared mode. After all, the BE is a database that Access itself created, when we split the whole database. So, I'm not totally sure how Access set it up.

SHOULD THE BE DATABASE BE SET TO OPEN IN SHARED MODE, OR DOES IT MATTER?

To be honest with you, I've never adjusted the open mode in any Access application.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Well, thanks again, Duane, for offering help on this.

It turns out that my problem was a study in "don't put too much store in Microsoft Access Error Messages".

Once I got all the network parameters correct (static IP Addresses, etc.) the supposed problem with the BE Database "being exclusively open by another user" vanished, and things started working normally. Essentially, the Error Message that I was getting from Access was a red herring, having nothing to do with the real problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back