Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 rebels. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

FI0L

Programmer
Mar 3, 2009
GB
Is there anyone with W7 or W8 who won't be upgrading to W10 before the 29th July. If there is, why?

Your kindnesses prompt me to announce I wish my grave to be filled before yours.

I still have a Windows 3.1.1 (Workgroups) machine. I will be keeping my Windows 7 machine. I have purchased a Windows 10 machine that has a brand new install of Windows 10. I will not be upgrading any of my machines on my home network.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

Have a Windows 7 machine whose BIOS is incompatible with W10 - so no upgrade.

Me.
My home computer, my co-workers home computers, and all of our office computers (50+), all of our location kiosks (~400) are mostly Windows 7, with a handful of the kiosks being XP. We will not be upgrading unless or until we have no choice.
Why?
First, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Second, many hours of user training and familiarity. Not to mention further user support.
Third, hardware/software/driver incompatibility issues with Windows 10.
Fourth, VPN and remote access issues, as well as remote monitoring and updating.
I'm sure I could come up with more details but those are the big reasons.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Thanks for the answers so far. I should've said for home use, as in a personal choice.

I will leave my XP Pro as is. Just not sure about my 3 x W7 Ultimate's.

Have possible costs of W10 software post-29th July been mentioned?

Your kindnesses prompt me to announce I wish my grave to be filled before yours.

We have some older machines that are running Win7. They are either running mission critical software that isn't compatible, the user doesn't want it, and/or the hardware isn't compatible.

I've upgrade some others that worked very well, though.

James P. Cottingham
I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229!

Per Gregg Keizer of Computerworld:
After July 29, Windows 10 will cost customers who want to upgrade: $120 for the Home edition, $200 for Pro.

==================================
advanced cognitive capabilities and other marketing buzzwords explained with sarcastic simplicity

making the decision at a business is not really difficult. The free offer for windows 10 is ONLY available to home users. You use the OS that is best for you in performance and cost.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Have 2 HTPC Win7 machines that have Ceton quad cable tuners in them, and no upgrade to 10 because fairplay and media center are not part of 10. I could upgrade and use other software, but would loose the ability to record Starz,HBO.

Ive used the free windows 10 upgrade to fix some really broken win 7 machines. customer was chuffed. didnt have to drive to Edinburgh. everyone won! :)

ACSS - SME
General Geek

For machines where the BIOS is an impediment or you have hardware that has no Win10-compatibile drivers available there isn't much of an issue. You might replace a video adapter or something simple, but investing much money in hardware upgrades probably makes less sense than retiring the machine or staying on Win7. Anything older than Win7 and you may as well retire the PC if you can't take it forward but that'll cost money too.

So if you are on Win7 or even one of the godawful Win8.x releases already without a hardware impediment to Win10 the question gets more interesting.

Expiration of the "free upgrade" in just a few weeks might make people do some last-ditch heavy thinking. Letting the deadline pass without thinking hard about it might cost you some money.

W8 & W10 don't have the network map which I find extremely useful

No, they don't, and yes, it is irritating, and Microsoft never seem to have explained why they removed it. The best we really got (that I'm aware of), back in the days of W8, was a Microsoft's Global Escalation engineer confirming that the Network Map was removed from Windows 8 (i.e. it wasn't just us users being to dumb to find the feature). He also agreed that this was an important Windows feature and promised to forward this issue to the Windows 8 software-development team for possible inclusion in a forthcoming Windows 8 service pack (ref: here)

The fact that it was never included in any service pack, and remains missing in Windows 10, suggests that for some unknown reason the software development team did not think it so important. This is a great example of Microsoft listening to its users, and then ignoring them ...

Figured out how to upgrade make my wife's afore mentioned laptop with an incompatible BIOS.

All domestic machines now at W10

All Windows 7 Ultimate's got upgraded. I've upgraded my wife's laptop and one desktop without any problems.

Mine? Just typical! Total nightmare with me managing to corrupt my Windows 10 to the extent I was forced into carrying out a clean install.

I DJ online on an American server using Shoutcast. Well, not any more. Asus have decided not to supply my 4 year old m/b (P8Z77 WS) with updated audio drivers, every other Asus m/b of that age has been given new drivers but not mine. I've already spent 2 full days trying other Asus drivers to no avail so that's going to be fun to sort out. Especially so as I seem to have a mental block on audio pc peripherals and how they fit together. I have visions of my amp and mixer with phantom power going up in smoke as I "trial and error" myself around my setup.

I'm not happy and it's all Microsoft's fault. Now, where's that Buckfast.

Have you tried to see if Asus has windows 8 drivers available. They will typically work in windows 10.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back