Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
I have been on Windows 7-64 since it came out. Unfortunately, we all know the drill, hardware is soon not going to recognize 7, so I'm going to have to bite the bullet one day or another - especially since I like gaming.
Well that day came sooner than expected, because my daughter took a web training course that landed her with a laptop - obviously with Win 10. So I decided it was time to get borgified. I installed 10 on my main PC to see just how it actually worked and what needed to be done.
Initially, I was rather agreably surprised, I must admit. A Win10 PC doesn't actually start faster than a Win7 (on the same hardware), but it does make itself availble to the user sooner. Nice.
Everything was working rather well, and I was happy with the change. I locked down all the telemtry I could, found a few helper programs to make my UI experience bearable, and reinstalled all the software I was used to using without trouble.
Then I got updated to 19041 191206-1406, and the problems started.
First, my network shares are now slow as slugs. I have a Win7 laptop, it can access exactly the same shares in 0.1ms. With my Win10 PC, it takes more than a minute to access the same file directory. I feel like hanging someone.
Recently, I have noticed that Wondershare (paid for, official version) is taking about 10 times longer to convert a video than it used to. My PC is an i7-6700 @ 4Ghz with 32GB of DDR4 3200 MHz CL16. Could someone please explain to me why all of a sudden this is not enough to convert a 2-hour film in less than 1 hour ?
What the hell is going on here ?

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I don't know why you have been dragging your feet on Windows 10. First, Windows 7 hasn't had any security updates since January 2020, so that is a huge security issue. Second, I found no pain switching from Windows 7 to 10 and I'm the kind of person that hates change. To me, it was very minor to adjust. End of sermon.

Did you do an UPGRADE to Windows 7 or do a fresh install? I have done many upgrades from Win 7 for myself and customers and I can't say that any of them ended up running poorly. But if you had the time and a spare hard drive and did a fresh install to compare, it would be an interesting troubleshooting step.

I also wonder about these programs you added. "I locked down all the telemetry I could, found a few helper programs to make my UI experience bearable. I would honestly not recommend adding a bunch of items to Windows. Your adding a layer between you and Windows 10. That could be your problem right there. Try uninstalling all of those "improvements" before anything else.

Then, no question: Update to 20H2 (19042.1023)

The issues started after the update. Before that, I was quite happy with Win10 performance.
Maybe the apps I installed are no longer compatible since the update, but they have mainly concerned UI and Registry settings, not network access.
As for updating to 20H2, I don't have the option in Windows Update.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

pmonett said:
Recently, I have noticed that Wondershare (paid for, official version) is taking about 10 times longer to convert a video than it used to. My PC is an i7-6700 @ 4Ghz with 32GB of DDR4 3200 MHz CL16. Could someone please explain to me why all of a sudden this is not enough to convert a 2-hour film in less than 1 hour ?

I'm not familiar with Wondershare but it claims to be able to use your GPU processor. Maybe the setting for "hardware accelerated conversion" is accidentally disabled in the new system. For good measure, I'd use a free tool like Handbrake for video conversion instead of sketchy Chinese software that uses sketchy marketing. Then I would boot into Linux and run the same conversion test to see how much faster Handbrake for Linux performs.

Download: Link

You can also do this if you don't want to upgrade. Use MSCONFIG and disable HALF the services - the top half for example. Then reboot. If the problem is gone you know that a problem service was disabled so it must be in the top half. Now the fun begins. You have to go back and start enabling services (two or three to make it faster) and then reboot after each enabling. When the performance goes bacj down, you know that the problem service is in one of the two or three you just enabled. Lots of time and pain, but it works. Do you have the patience and dedication.

Apparently, I don't have the choice :)
It'll take some time, but I'll let you know the results.

Okay, but not following this. "Apparently, I don't have the choice :)"
What you do you mean???

I mean that, if I am to get back my initial network performance, I'm going to have to go through this process since I cannot upgrade to the latest Windows 10 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back