Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 new features

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just downloading the latest build as I type.

Drat - Guest Addition in VirtualBox seem to be broken under 9926, which means mouse/display don't work properly.

Hurrah. The VirtualBox "Guest Additions, revision 97986 " test build works.

The linked article is pretty vacuous, and hardly says anything about "new features."

One thing it does say is:

Further, Windows 10 will be offered as a service, he disclosed, so "the question 'what version are you running?' will cease to make sense." That will make things even easier for devs.

Far from making anything "easier" it sounds like chaos, with constant OS mutations breaking applications left, right, up, and down the middle. I have found Android to be a far more stable development target than Windows, despite the love the press seems to have for crowing "fragmentation" constantly.

Well, they've clarified that somewhat. It just means that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs. And you'll still be able to control how Windows Update does that, if at all ... (except in the preview, where you are for various reasons obliged to take updates)

>The VirtualBox "Guest Additions, revision 97986 " test build works

Well,the mouse integration does. But still can't get the VirtualBox graphics driver to run properly.

I prefer VirtualBox to client Hyper-V on my own machines.

And, currently, VMware in the datacentre.

strongm said:
Well, they've clarified that somewhat. It just means that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs. And you'll still be able to control how Windows Update does that, if at all ... (except in the preview, where you are for various reasons obliged to take updates)

Well that sounds even worse in some ways, with the potential for breaking changes being far more frequent and the "hack around them" detection process even more onerous. Would your programs now need to query version information down to the build level?

I still see nothing here that "will make things even easier for devs."

I'm not sure this Terry Myerson character has any idea what a "dev" actually is or does. Be afraid of this "new Microsoft" - be very afraid.

You might be interested in their Long-term servicing (LTS) update branch, then.

strongm said:

I'm afraid of what they think that means. Are they planning on obfuscating the updates, so that you don't need to know what was effectively updated, or are they saying updates now will be so irrelevant, you don't need to bother with them one way or another?

When you patch, or update something, you are effectively changing it. If you had something else that relied on whatever it was you changed, the way it was before, of course it going to matter what update you have installed.

I'm not entirely sure what they mean by that.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

>When you patch, or update something, you are effectively changing it.

And yet Microsoft have been (mostly) successfully running Patch Tuesday since 2003 ...

Patch Tuesday has had nasty failures quite often in the past year or two. Some get back-filled, and other problems are still with us. Several times we've seen breaking changes that require non-trivial amounts of research followed by the development of workarounds.

The Windows environment risks becoming as brittle and fragile as many desktop Linux distributions.

dilettante said:
The Windows environment risks becoming as brittle and fragile as many desktop Linux distributions.

Agreed.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Doesn't really matter in the long run though, Windows 10 will arrive soon and most of cannot ignore it.

That's why I'd like more details on how a change in practice like this one is meant to be handled by developers. Or perhaps it's just a form of churn similar to the monthly patch burden and something to just cope with as best you can.

But these vacuous Microsoft marketing managers should stop addressing developers in their public statements if they don't want to be called on their BS.

The most notable thing about "universal applications" is that they aren't. It turns out that whole set of smoke and mirrors is really remarketing the reuse of back-end business logic, something as old as programming itself. It has nothing to do with code that magically runs multiplatform, something "universal applications" doesn't offer at all.

They'll need biggers offices at Microsoft to make room for the length of their growing noses.

gonna get it now and try her out! will psit back ;)

what are peoples opinions on Win 10 so far then? :)

I like it, although I still miss Aero

I have to admit the first thing I did was to disable Aero. In my opinion a complete waste of cycles.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back