Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Free Upgrade - What Will Be the Options? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
Will we be able to just download the upgrade as an ISO, burn it to a DVD, format the drive, and install? Or will it be a forced in place upgrade (which historically have driven me bananas, so I always prefer a fresh install)? Any thoughts / references?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Last I heard is that it is an upgrade for windows 7 and 8. If you want a fresh install you have to purchase it.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

>Last I heard is that it is an upgrade for windows 7 and 8.

Also free to anyone on the Windows 10 Insiders program (which itself was free to join)

strongm,

Wow, I didn't realize it was just flat free to anyone on the Windows 10 Insiders program! Is there a reference? I did join that program when it was first released, but had no thought that it'd be offering a free copy of Windows 10 for joining. Could be I didn't read that part or just forgot.

linney,

Thanks for the references. I haven't looked at them all, but the first one alone answers my question. Thanks a ton!

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

>Wow, I didn't realize it was just flat free to anyone on the Windows 10 Insiders

Not surprising. Microsoft have been somewhat confused on the matter. And it isn't quite as simple as getting the free final release.

The way it works is that if you stay on the Insider program beyond the release date of 29 July you will get the release version - and then continue to have access to updates subsequent to that date (i.e. betas and previews of forthcoming updates to the OS).

If you opt to leave the Insider program (either on 29 July or subsequently) your current preview build will (eventually) expire and you will be required to get a proper Windows 10 - and THAT is subject to the current rules about freebie versions (i.e. that you must have a legitimate copy of W7 or W8.1). In other words it is most definitely not a loophole to allow XP and Vista users to get a free upgrade.

Gotcha. Thanks for the additional insight.

some good readin'
Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thanks, goombawaho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back