Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 fails to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2229

Technical User
Sep 25, 2006
US
I have an Acer Aspire 5742 i3 with 2.40 GHz and 4.00 GB 64bit laptop that refuses to update. When I select Shutdown and Update it just grinds for maybe 10 hours or so with the spinning circle. I have to force a shut down at least twice, then the computer says it will try to recover the old system.

My Windows 10 Home is currently version 1511, and the OS build is 10586.753.

I don't have a problem with that build and the way computer operates. It is only that sometimes the only option at shutdown is to update. For several days I am given the normal shutdown option and at other times there are shut, or shutdown and update.

I am to the point where I may have to force shutdown on the days it wants to update since the update never goes through.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Daniel

Beilstwh,

I went to how-to-fix-windows and followed the directions. My computer showed that a problem had been fixed.

Then I went directly to the Windows 10 site and downloaded the new version directly from them. All the download went smoothly, the computer restarted on its own. It said it could take 90 minutes to do the update. It started at 5:00 P.M, and now it is three hours later and still doing the spinning circle. I am wondering if the update will ever take.

I will let it grind a few more hours then resort to my old forced start hoping that it will again recover my old system.

I am not seeing anything else to do, and I may be saddled with doing forced shutdowns on nights that that updates come through.

Thanks for all your help.

Daniel

Just did an extensive search for rotating circles after update, and found a site that said to remove any usb device and the update will resume where it left off. So I unplugged my usb dongle for the mouse, and yep, it did resume at 75% working on updates.

So I will give it the full 90 minutes and see what happens. If it comes up to the windows welcome screen, I will plug in the dongle and see what version is on the computer.

Hoping for the best!

Daniel

Finally updated to build 1607. However, the startup is really sloooooooooow!

I'll see how it works in days to come.

Thanks,

Daniel

Nice catch, and yes windows 10 is a dog on startup. Personally I would user hibernation of sleep instead of shutdown.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

and yes windows 10 is a dog on startup
Something is wrong with your PC because I would say Windows 10 boots FASTER than Windows 7 or Windows 8 given the same hardware specs. 8GB of RAM would help and an SSD, BUT that computer only supports SATA 2. But you would still see a jump in performance from my experience.

Link

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

> Personally I would user hibernation of sleep instead of shutdown

You do know that the Windows 10 Shutdown is hibernate (more-or-less)? It's a sort of hybrid, basically it closes applications, logs current user out, and then hibernates.

And, as goombawaho states, W10 boots - for me at least - from a shutdown much faster than W7 or W8 ever did, although it is only a bit faster than W8 (since 8 uses pretty the same shutdown technique as W10)

However, it is true that some people have found that this particular feature is, counter-intuitively, the actual cause of a slow boot. So one potential fix is to temporarily disable this feature and do at least one full shutdown and restart before reenabling it.

Who was that aimed at, given that at no point can I see sleep and hibernate being confused in this thread?

Sleep with AC power disconnected = dead battery after a period of time Wakes up faster.
Hibernation with AC power disconnected will not drain your battery but takes longer to "wake" up.

I tend to shut OFF the FAST START thing on all but the slowest computers just because it can cause periodic problems. And most PCs now are pretty fast such that a FULL start each time is not a big deal (i.e. Fast Start OFF).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back