Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 10 Device Manager 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbytech

Technical User
Jun 22, 2005
US
I have a custom built dual boot system(Linux Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10). When trying to troubleshoot a device problem in Windows 10, the Device Manager screen keep blinking as if it is restarting and will not let me select the device I'm having problems with. (Very fast blinking). What could be causing this?

1. Restart.
2. Right-click on Start and choose Windows PowerShell (Admin).
3. Copy/paste the following into the PowerShell console but don't press RETURN/ENTER yet:
Code:
Get-EventLog -LogName System -Newest 20 | Format-Table -AutoSize
4. Press Windows key + R key together. When the Run dialog appears, type devmgmt.msc and press RETURN/ENTER.
5. When the Device Manager window starts misbehaving, swap to the PowerShell console and press RETURN/ENTER to show the last 20 entries in the System log.

Report back with the results.

Alternatively:
1.Download, un-zip and run the small, free, portable Sysinternals/Technet tool Process Monitor (ProcMon).
2. Accept the EULA (you only need to do this once then, when ProcMon opens, press CTRL+E (to end the automatic capture of events) then CTRL+X to clear the event display.
3. Press CTRL+L to open the Filter editor and change the top line to this:
procmon_filter_for_device_manager_gh6peh.png

... then click on the Add button under the top line then the Apply and OK buttons at the bottom of the dialog to accept the change and return to the main ProcMon dialog.
4. Press Windows key + R key together. When the Run dialog appears, type devmgmt.msc and press RETURN/ENTER.
5. When the Device Manager window starts misbehaving, swap to the ProcMon dialog and press CTRL+E to resume event logging. After a few seconds, press CTRL+E to stop event logging. Problems with Device Manager should show in the Results column, probably as FAILURE.

Report back with the results.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back