Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Windows 1 0 : driving me crazy - again

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
This morning I got a new update. Patch Tuesday and all that (yesterday I was not home). So fine, I think.
Now, I live in France, but I like my computing in English. So, upon installing the latest Windows OS on my newly-upgraded machine, I put my Location as UK and my input language as Belgian (Period). Because my keyboard corresponds best to that layout.
That worked fine for all of 4 days.
Since this morning, my keyboard is now in Qwerty-US layout, and I can find no way to get my Belgian (Period) back.
It isn't even visible in Languages, I can't find it in Keyboard, and the Language thingy in the taskbar is nowhere to be seen even though I did check the box saying "show in Taskbar".
I hate Windows 1 0. I hate Microsoft, and I am fed up with these shenanigans.
Someone please tell me how I can get my bloody keyboard layout back.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

The Windows 10 'Settings' UI is, admittedly, a complete failure when it comes to easily setting location/language/keyboard preferences.

As you have discovered, there is no easy graphical way of listing input locales such as 'Dutch - Belgium' (i.e. nl-BE: Belgian (Period) (0813:00000813)... which is what Windows 10 understands under the hood).

You say:
I like my computing in English
... but there's 16 variants of English to choose from... so you need to be clear which variant you prefer (en-US? en-GB?, other?).

What variant of English do you prefer using?

When installing Windowsm I specified English UK for the language and Belgian Period for the keyboard.
It worked fine until that bloomin' update and now I cannot set it back.
It is really annoying to no longer have a Personal Computer anymore.

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

I finally found a helpful page :

[link]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/manage-the-input-and-display-language-settings-in-windows-12a10cb4-8626-9b77-0ccb-5013e0c7c7a2[/url]

It turns out that you now have to add a keyboard in the layout of your choice.
That means that the latest patch literally overwrote my settings without a care in the world.
Typical Borkzilla, always thinking that it knows better.

Oh, another thing I've just noticed : StickyNotes is now called Pense-Bêtes, and the interface is in French.
Congrats, Microsoft, you are really outdoing yourself as far as pissing me off is concerned.

This post - Windows 10: Set Microsoft Store and Apps language to English (United States) and keyboard layout to Belgian (Period) - shows clearly what steps to take. Just amend them to use English (United Kingdom), i.e. en-GB, instead of English (United States).

Alternatively, this post - Windows 10 language settings with PowerShell - shows a PowerShell script at the bottom of the article that you could adapt to your own granular language preferences.

More info: Get-WinUserLanguageList

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the tips, Rick998.
For the moment (until the next patch Tuesday) things are back in order.
I will keep your links in mind in case Borkzilla throws me another curveball.

Maybe try reinstall the previous version of Windows and do a complete refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back