Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

window sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick283

MIS
Jul 5, 2002
US
Anyone have any experience running windows sensors? I'm looking at SM-207-5 Stubby sensors. They have two wires coming off them and will be low-voltage. Can you confirm that I can use CAT-5 cable to make the run back to my central panel?

Know of any tutorials on how to actually install the things? The part that goes into the wall and then connects to a wire that runs back to the panel is easy. It's the piece that actually goes into the window that's throwing me off. I have absolutely zero space between the window and the frame. I can't drill into the actual window since they are seals and have argon inside. How do you install the magnet piece?

I guess I'm not sure what the product is. Are you referring to an alarm type reed switch with a matching magnet to close it? If this is what you are talking about, I can give you some guidance.

When I install these in aluminum window frames, I first target the magnet location. Generally the easiest spot to do that is to perch the magnet on top of the sliding window, and generally I use hot glue to glue it to the top of the slider. Then I get the window almost closed and visualize where the magnet lines up with the frame. then, I drill a hole thru the frame into the stud space and pull wire through, connecting the switch.

Lots of tricks in the alarm business for these mountings, if this not what you are trying to do, I need more description of the product :)
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

> Can you confirm that I can use CAT-5 cable
> to make the run back to my central panel?

The alarm guys consider cat5 to be a bad choice for contact wiring. I am fairly sure they go for 22/4.

You might want to ask this question on alt.security.alarms

Daron,

Here is a link to the contacts I'm referring to:

One small tube that is the magnet and the other tube that has the wires coming out of it. The "magnet" side is 3/8", which just doesn't seem to fit anywhere on the window.

I appreciate your responses.

Wires is absolutely correct, 22 gage 4 conductor would be the wire of choice. We used to use 2 conductor, but I find it better to carry lots of 4 conductor and just have a spare couple of wires for switches, and use the same wire for all the devices.

The switch you selected is ok, but for aluminum window frames I would choose a 1/4" switch, you don't have a lot of room to spare there. I usually find my magnet position first, the easiest is to set it on top of the slider so the magnet moves back and forth with the window. Then I drill a hole sideways in the window frame in the upper corner where the magnet slides toward the frame. You route the wire to come out the hole, cut the switch leads quite short (1" for one, 2" for the other) cut your wire to match the switch wiring. Then you solder the two wires together, giving you staggered connections so there is no chance of shorting. Carefully wrap tape around each soldered splice, then around the two connections, taking care not to get the splice bigger than 1/4".

Push the switch back inside the frame, glue the magnet on top of the slider so that it makes the switch close when the window is closed.

Hope that helps.
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back