Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window Explorer giving errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargoyle47

Technical User
Mar 7, 2005
If I start Windows Explorer it works ok for Opening folders, expanding and collapsing folders or drives.

However if I try and do a search or go to file types, it deplays the message "Windows has encounter and must end program"

Can I lose part of the program functionality while still retaining other parts of the program?

Should I just replace the corrupt version with a copy of Windows Explorer from and other machine running the same Operating System?

One additional problem related to Windows Explore has to do with DVD disk. If I now place a dvd data disk in my drive it will not see the disk ? It say insert a disk into the drive. This problem seem to occur at about the same time I first notice the problem with Windows Explorer. Could the 2 problems be related to Windows Explore?

I have run virus scans and no viruses were found.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

First, I would run CHKDSK /R (/F) to check the integrity of your SYSTEM partition...

then open a CMD window (START >> RUN >> CMD) and type SFC /SCANNOW and have the XP CD at hand...

this will check system files for corruption and replace them when necessary...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

Have you tried both problems from with in Safe Mode, or within Normal Mode but with a different user, to see if they repeat there?

Have you tried uninstalling the DVD drive via its' Properties and Driver tab in Device Manager, rebooting, and letting Windows rediscover it?

Even if your virus scan test didnt find any virus at all, it can be some virus hiding in there, or some important windows library and/or explorer part got corrupted.

I had a customer some time ago with similar problem, the best solution was to back up the important data, and then do a clean install of the operating system! After that everything worked fine as it should. I suggest do it too.

Visit my website==>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back