Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Window Explorer FTP Name Error 550 "//" wrong directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOKIDOG

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
US
I have a weird problem.

I try to connect to my webserver - and I have it down with my application - Golive. Although it's always a problem when I have to reload the software and re-do the FTP settings. The Web host guy is never very helpful - he just does not seem to communicate very well. Eventually I figure out the correct settings and it works. The server seems to be set up witd duplicate names in two spots, one with the correct web pages the other with the similarly named directories but none of the files - Really confusing.

I go to my site, and the actual web site files are up directories from the 'web' page address. I get around this with an extra '/' character.

For instance: ftp://here.org//web/pages/files/

notice the 2 "/" after the web address. That works in my opera browser and IE. However it will not work in Windows Explorer.

I get the error: "An error occurred opening the folder..." - Details "550/.users/101/saabra... no such file or directory. Windows Explorer seems to take out the "//" and changes it to just one "/" and then there is no such directory.

Why? How do I fix this? In my Web Application I don't enter it this way, but I have to have:

Advanced - passive mode off - not checked

and:

Use Standard Framework off - not checked

Also when I'm in IE and in the correct FTP area with all my web files showing and choose "Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer" the same error comes up. Exasperating.

I want this ability so I can tell a person without access or need for an FTP client or Webpage Application to upload one file she creates (a newsletter) every week to the site.

If I could find out the 'real' address on their server this may help - but I am not sure how to do this....?

ftp://here.org//web/pages/files/ is what I pasted into the Address box of Windows Explorer. This took me to a Logon Box at Here.org. but the address in the Address Bar dropped one of those slashes.

ftp://here.org/%20/web/pages/files/ took me to the same Logon Box, but that address stayed the same.

Probably not relevant or helpful information but at least we are looking at your problem.

Perhaps you might have some better luck at a FTP Forum?

That's closer - I still get the error, but now the error has this in the address: "/ /", that is slash, space, slash.

There may be some other way to go 'up' directories, but I don't know that either....

Incidentally I can get to the FTP using the command prompt without any problems as well. It interprets the double slash as 'go up one level'. I even wrote a batch file and email filter to take the newsletter from an email, save it as a file, then upload it to the Web Server page. This is pretty much what I need, but I would still love to be able to give a couple users an 'easy' way to upload content to the server via Windows Explorer as they don't have FTP experence, or a Web Degign App.

Thanks. Maybe we can solve this.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back